Wednesday, July 6, 2011

One Brown Moth in Rhode Island

I stepped out onto my deck at 10:45 pm  to see if there were any foxes, coyotes, deer or mountain lions rummaging around in my backyard. Dead silence. Very calm and serene. Nothing seemed to be moving but one wrong step and this moth would have been smushed. Down by my feet was this big brown moth. I took a picture and looked it up and of course, absolutely no pictures matched this moth. The closest ones were called a Clothes Moth and a Potato Tuber Moth but I'm pretty sure it was not one of those. And although I almost stepped on the well camouflaged animal, it was intelligent enough to stay on the warm deck. The bats above my head would have a lovely meal if its radar bumped off of this Goliath!
Unknown Moth. If it is a new species I may name this melissifica to honor my wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment